Welcome to the
Science, Achievement (MESA) Program
SUCCEED IN STEM!
MESA serves underrepresented students in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) fields with academic support and professional development. MESA provides rigorous academic enrichment services along with personal, financial aid, and transfer advising. Our MESA Student Center offers students a dedicated space to study, access to computer workstations, industry guest speakers, workshops, advising, and scholarship and internship resources. All MESA students collaborate with the MESA Director on a personalized student success plan to support their success at Highline Community College and beyond. Our goal is for students to excel academically and transfer successfully to four-year institutions as STEM majors.
Come visit us at the MESA Student Center located in Building 26, room 319D to learn more about MESA and how to enroll.
What does HCC MESA offer?
- Academic Excellence Workshops - Students receive extra support through weekly facilitated workshops to encourage mastery in key STEM concepts in their current math and science classes.
- STEM Success Course - The class teaches basic study and college survival skills (e.g how to take notes, study for math and science exams, manage time effectively) to incoming students majoring in math, engineering, and science.
- Academic Advising - Students receive individualized guidance on classes and develop multi-year plans with a faculty advisor to ensure that they take courses to successfully transfer to a four year institution.
- Transfer Assistance - MESA offers workshops on the application and financial aid process; and campus visits to college departments for transfer to 4-year colleges and universities.
- Career Advising - Students are exposed to different math, engineering and science options through industry mentors, guest speakers, industry field trips, job shadowing, internship opportunities, and participate in design competitions.
- MESA Student Center - A dedicated multipurpose student center to support individual or group study, access to computer workstations, meetings, workshops; and social and recognition events. The Center serves as a hub for MESA students to build a learning community and enhance students' educational experience at Highline.
MESA seeks to create a Learning Community of STEM students at HCC by building Confidence, Connections, and Camaraderie.